Share This Article
Track: Glen Helen Raceway/Dubya USA World Vet Nats
Terrain: Sandy top soil AM with hard pack in PM
Avg Lap Time: 2:36
Total Number Of Motos: 4motos (Two20 minute pluse 1 lapmotos and two 5 laps motos)
Weight At Time Of Race: 170 pounds w/o gear
2022 Yamaha YZ450F:
Engine Hours 32.6
Tires: Dunlop MX3S/MX33 13.5/12.5 PSI
Bars: Pro Taper SX Race Evo
Grips: Renthal Half Waffle Soft
Levers: ARC RC-8 Perch/Lever
Rider Triangle: -7mm down and -5mm back peg position/stock bar height/rear hole
Gearing: 13/49 Sunstar Sprockets/DID ERT3 Chain
Engine Mods: Vortex ECU Mapped By XPR/Akrapovic Evolution Full System
Engine Oil: Blud Racing 10/40 Pro Series
Fuel: VP T4
Holeshot Device: WC
Graphics/Seat: DeCal Works Keefer/Stock YZ Graphic/GUTS Racing Ribbed
Suspension: Enzo Racing Test Fork/Shock Spec #KK148
Air Filter: Twin Air Power Flow Kit
Plastic: Cycra Power Flow Kit
Results: 1st 40 Pro (1-1), World Cup 40 Class (1-1)
• GH World Vet ECU setting allowed third gear corners without on/off area 2 feel. Power was controlled and easy to manage late in motos yet pulled hard enough in third gear to climb hills fast.
• YZ450F feels slightly heavy on entry (lean in) on shallow ruts.
• Fork has better comfort when ridden at race pace. Not too much comfort on initial stroke (light bump) as I feel initial part of stroke is too soft. This allows fork to ride in too low off throttle.
• Shock sag at 105mm made for acceptable balance, but sped up rebound +2 clicks to compensate for choppy conditions so rear can follow ground more.
• WC start device was better off the gate when set at 130mm for dirt start.
• Updated rider triangle (-7mm/-5 back pegs) allows for less leg fatigue. Legs were fresher at end of motos.
• GUTS standard seat foam is firmer than stock OEM foam and last longer. (12.1 hours on foam and density still holding up).
Shock: (Spec #KK146S)
The reasons for picking the Yamaha to race at Glen Helen is for stability and comfort. Bump absorption, straight line stability and front end feel is paramount at Glen Helen and theYZ450F provides the most of those consistencies on a fast/hard pack track.